Houston had its own Carnegie Library (originally called Houston Lyceum and Carnegie Library) downtown at the corner of McKinney and Travis (currently McKinney Place Garage) – it was built in 1904 but by 1926 it was replaced by what is now the Julia Ideson building of Houston Public Library.
With the help of librarian Julia Ideson, Houston school administrator E.O. Smith, and Booker T. Washington’s personal assistant Emmett Scott, Carnegie agreed to fund the building of the Colored Carnegie Library at 1112 Frederick St. which was built in 1912. This building was demolished around 1962 and was about where 3 Allen Center is now (more about the Colored Carnegie Library here).
Approximate location of 1112 Frederick St.:
1924 Sanborn map:
1907 Sanborn map: