The town of Newgulf was established in 1928 for employees of the Texas Gulf Sulphur Company. Today, very little remains in the town and most of the homes are either abandoned or demolished and the Texasgulf plant is largely abandoned. Newgulf Elementary School and the New Gulf Golf Club are still in operation.
According to the Handbook of Texas Online:
At the town’s zenith it had as many as fifteen businesses, including a cafe, two dry-goods stores, two grocery stores, two pharmacies, a barbershop, a tailor and cleaning shop, a movie theater, and three garages. Texas Gulf Sulphur also built a hospital, a library, a school, a post office, and a clubhouse with a nine-hole golf course. In time the company constructed four churches-Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian-a Girl Scout and a Boy Scout clubhouse, and a guest lodge with two guest houses. The population of Newgulf peaked in 1940 at 1,586.
Merle R. Hudgins, “NEWGULF, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln18), accessed November 26, 2013.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Pictures taken 2002-2006